Android Emulators Update

I just made a minor update to my Android emulators for 8-bit machines (the Raspberry Pi versions have not been changed). Since I updated my HTC One X to Android 4.1.1, the sound in all three of the emulators had been really horrible and distorted (yes, even more so than usual 😉 ). So it seemed a good time to update them to use 16-bit sound output, which seems to be better supported in Android. It turns out that 8-bit samples, which I was using before, aren’t actually guaranteed to work at all on every device, so this change would have been worth making even without the sudden appearance of the distortion.

Nothing else has changed except that they’re now being built with a newer version of the Android SDK; however, they should still work on all devices back to Android 2.1, and indeed they do still work on my old Wildfire. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Much as I like Android and Google and HTC in some ways, they do seem to like changing things that worked perfectly well already, and not always for the better. Almost every system update for my phone seems to turn into a fresh game of hunt-the-process-that’s-draining-the-whole-battery-and-guess-how-to-make-it-stop… including the ones that claim to improve battery life. And the latest update not only broke 8-bit sound, the phone also refuses point blank to talk to my desktop PC anymore, either as a USB disk drive or for app debugging purposes – both worked fine before. Ah well… got to keep the users and developers on their toes, I guess.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.